A MEMBERSHIP-DRIVEN MODEL
We believe that membership is essential to living out the demands of a true New Testament church.
If the church is a building, then we must be bricks in it; if the church is a body, then we are its members. Sheep are always found in a flock, and branches on a vine.
Church membership provides an opportunity to grasp hold of each other in responsibility and love. By identifying ourselves with a particular church, we let the pastors/elders and other members of that local church know that we intend to be committed in attendance, giving, prayer, and service. Joining a church increases our sense of ownership of the work of the church, of its community, of its budget, and of its goals. Membership moves us from being pampered consumers to joyous proprietors.
Joining a particuar local church is an outward reflection of an inward love for Christ and for His people. We read in Ephesians 5:25 that, "Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her." If we are Christ's followers, we too will love the church for which He gave Himself.
HOW TO JOIN
The only requirements for membership at Oak Hill are the following:
- Be a true disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Baptized as a believer.
- Affirm a willingness to follow and yield to the shepherds of the church.
- Affirm a desire to live out a mutually dynamic life in the body.
The Membership process involves five steps:
- Complete Membership Application.
- Complete a Membership Interview with the Elder Team.
- Sign our Church Covenant.
- Receive an Affirmation Vote from the current membership.
OUR MEMBERSHIP COVENANT
How do we commit to living together?
- We will work and pray for unity of the Spirit within the body, always practicing forgiveness, pursuing reconciliation, and rejecting harmful gossip.
- We will walk together in brotherly love, exercising an affectionate care and watchfulness over one another, and faithfully admonishing one another when the occasion arises.
- We will not forsake the assembling together of the saints.
- We will not neglect to pray for ourselves and for one another.
- We will delight in one another’s joy and endeavor with tenderness and empathy to bear one another’s burdens and sorrows.
- We will seek to disciple those under our care and by a pure and loving example seek to lead others to salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We will seek, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to live carefully in the world, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, recognizing that we have a special obligation to lead a new and holy life.
- We will contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of this ministry, the expenses of this church, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the Gospel throughout the world.
- We will work together for the continuance of the ministry in this church, sustaining its essential doctrines, by-laws, ordinances, worship, and discipline.
- We will, if we move from this church body, as soon as possible unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s Word.